Travelling to Rwanda
Rwanda can be entered by flying to Kigali International Airport (Code: KGL) or from bordering countries at the border crossings. Read the Visa Information to determine whether you will need to apply for a visa prior to visiting Rwanda.
Currently, there are no direct flights that leave Australia and land in Rwanda. It is recommended that you leave sufficient time between connecting flights to ensure that you do not miss subsequent flights.
COVID-19: INFORMATION FOR PASSENGERS ARRIVING OR DEPARTING FROM RWANDA
As part of Rwanda’s Response to the Covid-19 Omicron variant, which has been designated a Variant of Concern by World Health Organization, the following is mandatory upon entry into Rwanda as of 20th January 2022:
• All travelers arriving in Rwanda must have a negative Covid-19 certificate. The only accepted test is a SARS-CoV 2 Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) performed within 72 hours prior to
departure (meaning travelers must be tested and get results within 3 days of their first flight). Other tests, such as Rapid Diagnostics Tests (RDTs), are not accepted. COVID-19 Test is not mandatory
for accompanied children under 5 years. Incoming travelers eligible (aged 12 years and above) for Covid-19 vaccine are encouraged to be fully vaccinated before their travel.
Once at the hotel, the process is as follows:
• Test results will be checked on RBC website of covid-19 results portal by using phone number entered while filling Passenger Locator Form and Unique code received when submitted Passenger
Locator Form prior to departures or by SMS and/or email, and the turnaround time for results is 24hrs from the time a sample is collected. If the results are not out and you are beyond 24 hours, please contact the hotel reception or RBC Medical Team on Duty at Airport 24/7: (+250)
781415724 for quick follow up.
• If a traveler’s test result is positive for COVID-19 (even if asymptomatic) while in Rwanda, the will be treated as indicated in the National Covid-19 Management Guidelines until they have fully recovered, at their own cost.
For travelers departing from Rwanda, they should abide by the restrictions below:
• All travelers departing from Rwanda must test negative for COVID-19. The only accepted test is a SARS-CoV 2 Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) performed within 72 hours before
departure. The PCR test must be performed by the Rwanda Biomedical Center/National Reference Laboratory, Provincial or District Hospitals. Other tests, such as Rapid Diagnostics Tests (RDTs), are not accepted. COVID-19 Test is not mandatory for accompanied children under 5 years. We encourage travelers to book and pay for their tests at least 2 days prior to departure through the online platform available on www.rbc.gov.rw. Travelers are advised to check with airlines about the COVID-19 requirements with final destination and/or transiting countries if required.
WHAT IMMUNISATIONS AND VACCINATIONS DO I NEED?
All travellers should visit either their personal doctor or a travel health clinic six to eight weeks before departure. Yellow Fever immunisations/vaccinations are compulsory for travel to all areas of Rwanda if you are coming from a nation affected by it.
The following immunisations/vaccinations are recommended for travel to all areas of Rwanda:
- Hepatitis A
- Malaria prophylaxis (with Lariam, Malarone, or doxycycline)
The following immunisations/vaccinations should be considered for travel to all areas of Rwanda:
- Hepatitis B
Please consult with your doctor for more specific advice.
The preventive measures announced by the Ministry of Health must be observed by all, especially frequent hand-washing, proper wearing of face masks in public, and maintaining safe physical distance from others (at least one meter apart). For more details about COVID-19 clinical management guidelines, please visit www.rbc.gov.rw.
EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION
• Toll free number: 114
• RBC Medical Team on Duty at Airport 24/7: (+250) 781415724
• Email: email@example.com
LINKS TO FURTHER INFORMATION
Please Note: The Consulate General does not endorse any of the following content and the opinions expressed in the linked websites are not deemed representative of those of the Consulate General.