Rwanda calls for greater climate action and shares green investment opportunities at COP27
Rwanda will press for more ambitious climate action and share the country’s green investment opportunities at this year’s UN Climate Change Conference (COP27) taking place in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt. COP27 will also be an opportunity to:
- Promote Rwanda as an ideal destination for green investment
- Share the diverse opportunities that exist across Rwanda
- Highlight Rwanda’s track record in delivering climate action and vision for a carbon neutral future by 2050.
At the Rwanda Pavilion, the delegation will host events and launch initiatives that will shape the future of the sustainable finance ecosystem in Rwanda, and enable the private sector to play a greater role in the country’s climate action efforts. These include:
- Launch of Ireme Invest: Rwanda’s Green Investment Facility – Rwanda Green Fund and the Development Bank of Rwanda
- Launch of the Rwanda Sustainable Finance Roadmap – Rwanda Finance Limited
- Launch of the Rwanda NDC Facility – Government of Germany and Rwanda Green Fund
- Event on Green Investment Opportunities in Rwanda – Rwanda Green Fund, Rwanda Finance Limited and Winrock International
- Event on The Future of Carbon Markets in Rwanda – Rwanda Environment Management Authority
Rwanda has an ambitious plan to reduce emissions by 38% by 2030 compared to business as usual and is working with national and international partners to attract the sustainable green investments needed to achieve this goal. COP27 will serve as a forum to advance these efforts and engage new partners to join Rwanda’s green growth journey.
“Rwanda is an ideal destination for green investment because we have a clear vision and an enabling environment. At COP27, Rwanda will take a strong voice and call for meaningful action to reduce global emissions, increase climate financing for adaptation and ensure the frameworks agreed on carbon markets and loss and damage are fair and effective,’’ said Minister of Environment, Dr Jeanne d’Arc Mujawamariya.